On September 24, 2020 Governor Kay Ivey allocated $35 million dollars from the Alabama Federal Coronavirus Relief Fund to establish a grant program to help doctors, dentists, clinics, and other providers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Applications will open at noon on Monday, October 5, 2020 and run through noon on October, 16, 2020. The State of Alabama will offer cash grants in an amount up to $15,000 to providers that meet eligibility requirements.
A summary of the program is provided below. Please contact us with any questions and/or assistance.
Your friends at Pearce, Bevill, Leesburg, Moore, P.C.
State of Alabama Health Care and Emergency Response Provider COVID-19 Relief Grant Program
The Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (the “CARES Act”) includes funds distributed to state governments to use to pay costs incurred in responding to the COVID-19 outbreak. The purpose of the Coronavirus Relief Fund appropriation is for the funds to be used to prevent, prepare for, and respond to COVID-19 only. No other purpose is authorized. Funds may not be utilized to replace or supplant any other funding nor to fill any revenue shortfall.
Eligible Applicants Include:
- Primary Care Clinics
- Ambulance/ EMS Service Providers
- Physician Offices
- Dentist Offices
- Other Health Practitioner Offices (Will need to specify)
- Outpatient Care Centers
- Medical and Diagnostic Laboratories
- Home Health Care Businesses
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Physical Therapy Offices
- Rescue Squad Organizations
- Volunteer Fire Departments
- 911 Boards
Ineligible Applicants Include:
- Providers seeking support for service locations outside of Alabama
- Any hospitals or nursing homes in Alabama
- Providers not included in the eligible applicant list above
*** It is important to note that if you received funds from the State of Alabama Small Business, Nonprofit, or Faith-based Grant Programs which was made available in July, you are NOT eligible to apply.
Additional Eligibility Requirements
In addition to the above applicant eligibility, provider must verify that it:
- Was in business and fully operational as of March 1, 2020 and continues to be operational as of the date of the application.
- Has incurred eligible expenses due to the interruption of business, up to the grant amount requested.
- Has not received a federal Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loan, Economic Injury Disaster Loan, or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA): OR, if received or expected to be received, incurred eligible business interruption expenses up to the amount requested that were not covered with these funds.
- Does not exist for the purpose of advancing partisan political activities, does not directly lobby federal or state officials, and has not employed or otherwise worked with a lobbyist as defined in Section 36-25-1, Code of Alabama1975, at any point during 2020.
Under federal law, eligible uses must meet three conditions:
- Necessary expenditures incurred due to public health emergency with respect to COVID-19.
- Not budgeted as of March 27, 2020 when the CARES Act was enacted.
- Incurred on or after March 1, 2020, up to December 30, 2020.
Among other conditions, a qualifying provider will have to certify that the amounts granted through this program will not be used for the following purposes:
- As reimbursement for cost or damages covered by insurance.
- For expenses that have been or will be reimbursed under any federal program, included the PPP, Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program, or PUA.
- For workforce bonuses other than hazard pay or overtime.
- For severance pay.
- for legal settlements.
For further context of permissible use of the grant award, please review Coronavirus Relief Fund Guidance and Coronavirus Relief Fund Frequently Asked Questions on the U.S. Department of the Treasury Website.
Applications will be accepted on October 5, 2020 at noon and will close on October 16, 2020 at noon. There will be no exceptions to apply before or after the application dates.
Applications must be submitted electronically at https://alabama.submittable.com/submit
Please note we have summarized portions of the Grant Program for purposes of this notification. For the complete details and additional information, visit The State of Alabama Health Care and Emergency Response Provider COVID-19 Relief Grant Program.