With Federal and State laws changing very rapidly this year, you may have missed a recent requirement from the Alabama Department of Labor issued in late July, 2020.
In accordance with the Families First Coronavirus Response Act and guidance from the United States Department of Labor, in addition to posting printed notices related to unemployment benefits, all Alabama employers are now required to provide written notification of the availability of Unemployment Compensation to employees individually at the time of separation of employment, with no regard as to the reason for termination. The Alabama Department of Labor is amending the Administrative Code to reflect this new requirement, but the requirement is effective immediately.
Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits are available to workers who are unemployed and who meet the requirements of state UI eligibility laws. You may file a UI claim in the first week that employment stops or work hours are reduced.
For general information about filing a claim, call 866-361-4524 or visit www.labor.alabama.gov.
You will need to provide the Alabama Department of Labor with the following information in order for the state to process your claim:
- Your full legal name
- Your Social Security Number
- Your authorization to work (if you are a U.S. citizen or resident)
You should also have the following information available when you file your claim:
- A list of names, complete addresses, telephone numbers, and the beginning and end dates of employment from your last two employers.
- Information and related documents for any federal civilian employment, military service, or work performed in another state in the past 18 months.
- Your bank routing number and checking or savings account number, if you choose to have your unemployment payment deposited directly into your bank account.
To file a UI claim by phone, dial 866-2-FILE-UC (866-234-5382).
- If you do not have access to a telephone, you may use a designated telephone at a local Alabama Career Center.
- You will be asked a series of questions that will require you to answer by pressing numbers on your telephone keypad. You may then be transferred to a claims specialist and/or given additional information to complete your claim.
To file a UI claim online, visit www.labor.alabama.gov.
Click on “Unemployment,” then “File Claim,” then “Establish a New or Reopen a UI Claim,” and follow the prompts.
If you have questions about the status of your UI claim, you can call the Alabama Department of Labor Call Center Inquiry Line at 800-361-4524.